Do you have any recipes from your childhood that you still crave? Chipped beef on toast is one of those recipes for me. I know it’s not fancy nor is it good for me but I still absolutely love it.
Do you have any recipes from your childhood that you still crave? Chipped beef on toast is one of those recipes for me. I know it’s not fancy nor is it good for me but I still absolutely love it. My mom and dad made it for us often while we were growing up and it has always been one of my very favorite breakfasts. Since it’s not good for any of us, I only make this recipe once a year, usually for my birthday.
- 1 jar of dried beef slices rinsed well & chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 cups milk
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Bread toasted
How To Make Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast
- Rinse the slices of dried beef really well – they are VERY salty! Once you have rinsed well, pat dry with a paper towel.
- Chop the beef into small bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in the large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and pinch of cayenne pepper to the melted butter and whisk until well combined and cooked through, about 45 seconds.
- Very slowly add the milk while whisking continually.
- Once the milk has all been added, add the chopped dried beef.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until thickened.
- Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste, if needed.
- Serve on top of dry toast immediately. Enjoy.