- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cake batter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Grease and flour a 10 inch round cake pan very well and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. A large 9 or 10 inch tube pan or an 9×9 inch square baking pan can also be used. (8×8 will be too small)
- The strawberries I used in this recipe were quite large, so I cut them in quarters but if you have smaller strawberries, just cut them in half. The 4 cup measurement is for the berries after they have been chopped.
- Mix the corn starch and 1/2 cup sugar together and sprinkle over the strawberries along with the 1 tsp vanilla extract. Toss together well and spread evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- To prepare the cake batter begin by sifting together the flour baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar at high speed until very foamy.
- Mix together the butter and vegetable oil in a measuring cup with a spout.
- Slowly add this butter and oil mixture to the egg and sugar mixture as it continues to beat.
- Stir the vanilla extract into the milk.
- Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. When alternating wet and dry ingredients, always begin and end with the dry mixture. Here I folded in the flour in three divisions and the milk in two divisions.
- Pour the batter over the strawberries in the baking pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The toothpick test is definitely the best way to ensure this cake is fully baked.
- Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a heatproof serving plate.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if you like.