Uric acid is produced from the natural breakdown of your body’s cells and from the foods you eat, according to WedMD, and most of it is filtered out by the kidneys and passed out of your body in urine. However, when the body is producing too much uric acid, or the kidneys can’t remove it by themselves, the level of uric acid in the blood gets too high.
High levels of uric acid can cause crystals to form within the joints, and this is a common and painful condition called gout. High levels of uric acid may also cause kidney stones or kidney failure. There are a number of medications available to help the body produce less uric acid or excrete it more effectively through the urine, but fortunately there are a number of natural ways to do this, too.
1) Limit your intake of purines.
According to the Arthritis Foundation, studies have shown that a diet high in purines leads to higher uric acid levels and a greater potential for gout to occur. Purines are chemical compounds found in food that the body converts to uric acid. Red meat, oily fish and beer are all very high in purines and should be limited in a healthy diet.
2) Avoid fructose.
WebMD points out that fructose-sweetened drinks such as fruit juice and soda are culprits for causing excess uric acid production. One study found that men who drank over six servings of high fructose drinks each week had a greater occurrence of gout.
3) Enjoy more dairy.
Gout and You explains that dairy products like milk, cheese and yoghurt increase the excretion of uric acid from the body. In this case it is best to choose low fat dairy options.
4) Drink plenty of water.
This helps your body stabilize uric acid to a normal level, and dilutes the acid, stimulating the kidneys to eliminate it more effectively.
5) Put down the glass of wine.
Beer has long been known to increase the risk of gout, according to Arthritis Foundation, but wine is worse. A study showed that drinking more than one serving of beer or liquor in a 24 hour period increased the risk of a gout attack by 36%, and that risk rises with every drink consumed thereafter. Wine, on the other hand, more than doubles the risk even after just one or two servings.
To continue, See the next page