- 24 oz frozen pearl onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add frozen onions and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In another large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- While continuously stirring, slowly add in the heavy cream and broth to saucepan. Simmer another 1-2 minutes over low heat and add nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and stir in ¼ cup of the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions to sauce and stir until fully combined.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top begins to brown.
- Serve warm.