- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-3 fresh jalapeño peppers, finely minced
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry knife or two forks. Mixture will be dry and crumbly. Stir in beaten egg and then add cheese and jalapeño. Roll into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Roll dough into 1” balls and place on greased or lined baking sheet spaced 2” apart. Press each cookie to flatten slightly using a flat-bottomed mug or jar.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until shortbread is just beginning to turn golden brown. Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before serving.